Meals Until No Child Hungers
(a Local BackPack Meals Program)
There are school children that go home Friday after school and their next real meal is when they return to school on Monday morning. That’s a tragedy in this country. That’s a tragedy in this state. It is also a tragedy right here in Hampstead!
So what do we do to help?
Currently, Hampstead UMC along with several other area churches, civic organizations, and community- minded businesses are partnering with the three elementary and the middle schools in Hampstead providing meals for children identified by the school’s administration as being at risk of having limited food available on the weekends. MUNCH volunteers fill the backpacks and they go home with the child on Friday.
Our philosophy is that a child who is hungry is not a child hungry for knowledge. By providing food assistance we hope to break the poverty cycle through education
These are the items that we need donated to send home each week:
- Cheerios, Oatmeal, or other low sugar cereals
- Waffle/Pancake Mix and Syrup
- Canned Vegetables & Fruits, Individual Fruit Containers (low sugar/no refrigeration)
- Plastic Jars of Peanut Butter and Jelly
- Individual Packages of Peanut Butter Crackers and Cheese Crackers
- Canned Meats (tuna, chicken)
- Chunky Soups & Stews, Macaroni & Cheese
- Pasta and canned Pasta Sauce
- Canned Pastas (Spaghetti-O’s, etc., or store brand)
- 100% Fruit Juice (Cans or plastic bottles)
“Reduced Sugar” and “Lower Sodium” are best! Please, NO glass containers.
Monetary donations are also welcome! Checks made out to HUMC with MUNCH in the memo line.
Chip Davis, MUNCH Coordinator, Hampstead
Currently, we are sending home over 100 backpacks to deserving Hampstead youth every weekend!